Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Arrival night

I'm here!!! I made it here at about 5:30 South African time. The flight was about 14 1/2 hour trip. It went by quickly though. Slept most of the time. As I watched is near the ground in the plane I couldn't help but smile. I can't believe I'm doin this. It seems like yesterday when I was afraid to stay at home by myself and now I'm landing in a foreign country by myself and meeting up with someone I've never met. Crazy! But I felt at ease. It was hard to say goodbye to my family, had a hard time holding it together but Ill see them soon. When I got off the plane, I have to admit I had butterflies in my stomach. I went through passport inspection with ease, grab a cart and sit and wait for my luggage. I get a text from my father saying he got an email saying my luggage wasn't there...haha dad very funny...he wasnt joking. Yep in South Africa and they lost my luggage. I go to the Delta baggage people and he asked for the address I will be staying...well sir I have no idea. Hopefully I'll call tomorrow with the address and my luggage will be there. HOPE! Luckily I backed a change of clothes in my carry on. I get over to where people are holding signs for the person they are picking up...no Hillary. I go ahea and head over to exchange money. I soon get a phone call from Joanne, the woman I've been in contact and was planning on picking me up. We finally found each other. She is deffinitly not what I imagined! She is gorgeous and high fashioned. I imagined a woman who dressed in safari clothes of some Sort since she's involved on conservation. She's so friendly and instantly gives me hug. Yep I'm going to like her. We go to get in her car and I instantly go to the right side. Oops I forgot that's the drivers side here. Haha she laughed, I blushed! We arrive at ther gorgeous home after a nice ride on the left side of the road. I knew I would love it here when I saw the golden retriever staring at me through the gate, her name is Molly and looks just like our Daisy...but younger and skinnier. They have a Siamese cat, who Joanne hates ned Ismarelda and a black cat whose more friendly named Jack. She's shows me my room and on comes the crowd. Joanne's finance Chris, whose fabulous just like her. They are getting married in August. He's planning most of it. Hannah, Joanne's oldest,13,and keeps to herself and then Noah,about 8, whose room I'm using and know I'm going to really enjoy. Then there is Chris' daughter Olivia,around the same age as Noah. She is so sweet and thoughtful We chit chatted and then had dinner that Joanne prepared. Delicious chicken with peas, rice and gravy, the cream and cauliflower and potatoes and onions. Yummy! Then she gave me this dessert, I keep forgetting what there called. Someone kisses. These small this of ice cream with hard chocolate around them. It was a great meal. The kids have to go to school tomorrow so we are turning in early. I'm tired from the trip so the sleep will be nice. Over all it seems they are as interested in me and America as I am them. I am so excited and so grateful and blessed for the opportunity. I love them already and I can't wait to get to know them more. Tomorrow they are going to show me their breath taking country. Good night all and prey I get my luggage tomorrow! Pictures will be posted soon!

1 comment:

  1. Exciting. Very grateful that Joanne and family are great host. Should be the beginning of a great adventure. Get some rest, work hard, have fun. We are looking forward to the blog post. We love you. Mom and Dad. (Cmon Delta, get the luggage there....)

    ReplyDelete