Monday, July 9, 2012

Amazing Drive

Hello all!! I hope you are all well. Here in South Africa, weather is nice, in the afternoon. Mornings and evenings are a bit cold but when the sun is out it is heavenly. Mr. Rhino agrees. Now, as I am trying to type this, he is having a sample taste of apple... apple computer. Silly boy, so curious.

He has had a rough few days with massive diarrhea. Black Rhinos have sensitive stomachs already, but his rare subspecies and specific diet that he is supposed to have makes it really difficult to satisfy his nit picky stomach. Because of the prolapse it is really hard to give him the right diet for is colic, and because of his colic its hard to treat the prolapse. Today he is being much better. No diarrhea yet...touch wood (which is what they say instead of our "knock on wood")

He loves attention and is spoiled rotten. Yesterday morning, after my night shift, it was time for his breakfast at about 7. It was particularly cold that morning. I called him out to come get it...he stood in the door and whined. When I came to him he sniffed the bottle and went back inside. He wouldn't take his milk until we were fully under the heat lamps. Brat. Smart brat that is. Today we sunbathed. I read while he slept with his heavy head on my lap. He is being so sweet today, giving tons of kisses. I love him to pieces.

The other day was Karen, the rhino expert's birthday. She didn't tell anyone...but Arrie knows all. We all surprised her with some leaker (nice) desserts. Cooksisters, very sugary sweets, milk pie, cinnamon custard pie, both very South African munchies, and cupcakes. All soooo good. Coffee, tea, and a nice sparkling fruit juice. She was very surprised.

Yesterday on Alana and I's day off, we went on a game drive. For 3 hours. We ran into the gorgeous White Rhino Bull, Wildebeast, Zebra, Warthog, and so many birds. Then we were looking for the Elephants. We couldn't find them...but after awhile we drove right on them. We first saw the one. Then saw the baby in the bushes, soon we say the other 8 huge elephants, ears up to give a warning headed toward us. SO we backed up a bit. haha. Keeping a close eye on us, they continued grazing. One youngster was really relaxed a rolled around. We were by a pond. Many drank and the young elephants blew a lot of bubbles. After about an hour of adoring them, they slowly started walking away. The 2 youngsters lagged behind. Playing nicely, but the play quickly turned to fighting. Amazing! They fought and fought, then the smaller one let out the famous elephant trumpet sound. They contunied fighting, but the grown-up elephants came running. The leader, the oldest female, got in between them. Keep in mind, now we a driving away. Once we saw all 8 mad females headed our way we took it as a que to get out. But we watched as the leader literally got in-between them like a mommy would between two kids fighting. Then they all stood around the bigger of the fighting youngsters and gave him the business. Truly a site to see.

We continued driving and came up on 2 huge giraffes eating from a tree, in the road. They didn't seemed bothered by us, since they didn't move. They stood there forever, but it was nice watching them. After they moved we continued on our way. We saw the "king" male lion sunbathing int the trees, more zebra, and a crocodile. I couldn't resist saying, "crocy, thats a big one. Lets go down and check him out," in my best Steve Erwin voice...which isn't very good. Alana has truly seen my crazy side, poor girl.

I have to say I miss my friends and family, but my time here has flown by. I can hardly believe it. Ok, Im off to go snuggle with my boy. I am also running out of battery. Ill post pictures later today when I get back to my room.

Cheers for now!

6 comments:

  1. You were driving an armored truck were't you?!!! Amazing to observe such natural behavior.
    Looking forward to August 1st. Prayers and Love,
    Meme & Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of the adventure you're having!!! Every day sounds like something new and exciting and I'm sure you're loving every minute! We're gonna have to take a HAM trip to Africa someday, cause we're the three best friends that anyone could ever have :) love you lots and can't wait to see you in just a few weeks!!

    PS-got my wisdom teeth pulled last week, and the pineapple worked like a charm! Hardly any swelling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Meme and Pop. I'm glad you posted DRIVING! cause I was wondering and hoping you were not on foot!! haha! Sounds really exciting! Wish you could have videoed that! Look forward to the pictures and glad to hear your stories. But, have to say, can't wait to hear them in person.

    Love ya, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typical teenagers (elephants......) Like we always said, it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt......then it is just fun. You can fight, just dont leave a mark to where Mom and Dad can see it. Awesome drive. Love the idea of hearing the trumpets sound and the lions roar. Too cool. Yes, like Meghan, I am jealous as well. This adventure continues to be impressive. Here is hoping the little fella (rhino) is feeling better. Looking forward to the pictures. Dad. By the way, but pre-ride meal the other day was peanut butter, nutella and banana. Delish. Breakfast of Champions. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding above, I meant: "my pre-ride meal...." but I am sure you figured it out by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MEME and POP- I can't wait to see you then as well! and the vehicle, well, was suitable. haha and it truly is amazing!

    MEGHAN- yes HAM trip FO SHO!! you made laugh out loud! haha but the three best friends that anyone could have has to go and experience this! Its amazing!!! Truly an adventure! Im so glad the pineapple worked!! haha hope your not too sore and doing ok! I miss and love you tons and can't wait to see you!!!

    MOM-I wish i could have gotten it on video but it happened so fast and i had to delete old pics off the memory card as it was happening because it was full! Had to move fast! but yes we were in a safe vehicle, that would be crazy if we where on foot! haha Cant wait to tell you all of them soon! Love and miss you!!

    DAD-hey your parents can read your post you know! hahaha but yeah they got int trouble! They could have used that piece of advice! haha but it was an amazing drive! Wish you all were here to experience it with me!! and Rhino is ok, about to post about him. haha that pre-ride meal sounds lekker!! yum yum!

    ReplyDelete