Sunday, July 1, 2012

Had a pretty rough night with the little one. He had a upset stomach all night. He had a lot of diarrhea. Poor guy. I stayed with him until the next person came on duty. Went back to my room and enjoyed an wonderful long shower. Alana and I both had the day off, so we took this opportunity to be lazy bums. The previous rooms I have stayed in have no TV and lack a sense of homeyness. Our new rooms here are really nice. Too nice with all our poopy smells wafting everywhere. Nice big beds, TVs, water boiler for coffee, which I had become to need and love. ha. never thought I would ever say that. But there are also a nice big tub, shower and overall a nice bathroom. So Alana and I laid in bed and watched movies and painted our nails. Really nice. Alana was asked to come in early for her night shift. I am having a nice relaxing evening on my own. Havn't had one in a while. Really nice.

Last night I came out of the little room to fetch a bottle for the boy and was amazed. There was a Giraffe standing there. Rhino boy's ears perked up and stared. I imagined him thinking, "what's wrong with that rhino? He has a really long neck!" I told him...obviously being alone in that small room has made me a little coo coo...or maybe this is just normal me...but anyways I told him,"soon these guys will be your friends when you get to go back to big boy rhino world." It was actually kind of funny because as soon as I said that he slowly turned around and walked back to the room. I actually slept well there. I brought my computer and watched a movie, Bambi, which I have not seen in a long while. Yep, me sitting there with a big rhino head on my lap crying when sweet Bambi's mother died. It got me thinking about what I have learned about rhinos, and the ruthless most disgustinng and selfish people called Poachers. They have gotten really clever in their ways. They will set fires on reserves, so all the officials will go to the fire, leaving animals, including rhinos, open...disgusting. Once they poach a mom, the baby will not leave its mom, no matter after it's death. This death isn't a quite and peaceful death. NO! They shoot the helpless rhino so it can't move and cut its face off, while still alive, meanwhile a baby could be nearby watching, crying in despair. Some poachers will just leave the baby there. There to starve and live in utter fear. Other poachers now have gotten to where they will take the baby's horn, although small too. I guess they think that small amount could still sell. A small amount of rhino horn is worth a lot of money in Asia. Many people there will spend millions on just a small amount.

Many Asians believe that this horn can cure many things, one most popular is to help with hangovers. They will put the horn, in tact, in the middle of the dinner table to help keep them from having hangovers. Can you believe how selfish that is...drinking...wow. These people seriously disgust me. They have practically killed out all of the rhinos in Asia, so they have come here. This amazing little rhino that I spend everyday with is truly the most fascinating creatures I have ever seen. Poaching was not the cause of him becoming an orphan, but I can just picture a little baby rhino just like him crying next to their mother's poached body. It breaks my heart.

I am sorry for this sadness here and being so down, but what a huge issue it is. I have come to realize how many people, especially Americans, are clueless. Alana and I have been talking about how we want to come back to America and try to tell as many people as we can and help to end the poaching as best as we can. We may be a small part, but maybe people will realize this problem and donate  or do their part as well. (many game rangers and guards don't even have guns to defend themselves or the rhinos from poachers due to lack of funding.) Knowledge is key.


Sorry this post isn't as entertaining. This has just been on my mind.

Thanks y'all for everything.

Leke Dag! (have a nice day)

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Great Post. Aye! You two can (and will) make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I have question about the skin of the rhino. It looks like it would be rough leather, however the legs look more like concrete. Extra prayers about the poo-poo poachers. Just remind boy that his neck won't stretch. Hugs and kisses, Meme & Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha meme and pop, i told him that his neck has to stay where it is! haha and their skin is is like rough leather, but in some areas it is so soft. Like his mouth, behind his ears, and under his legs. and thanks you

    ReplyDelete